Wednesday 28 November 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

I've not been writing much lately, for which I apologise (I am making a big assumption that anyone actually cares if I write or not, but I'm quite cosy in my dillusion...) There has been a whole lot of stuff going on round here, none of which I can write about. Partly because it's not mine to discuss, and partly because sometimes the words are a struggle- it can just seem too much.

What I can tell you about is Thanksgiving. Our first proper American holiday, which was quite exciting. More exciting than that, we actually had people to spend it with. I'm not sure how much I've written about my LA friend, but I have one. She's funny, whip-smart and cooler than me. I met her through a blog post about women who follow their partners' jobs around the country/world. We have been enjoying 'fun-employment' together. Most importantly, she is an amazing cook, so when the invitation came to go and join her partner and her for Thanksgiving dinner, I jumped at it.

Thanksgiving dinner and left over turkey sandwiches. yum yum yum. source


We ate proper turkey dinner. perfectly cooked turkey, smashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, pecan pie. Being in California, we had Kale, a vegetable I had only seen on Pintrest up til now... I made Cranachan since we had to inject something a little Scottish into it, and everyone drank wine and watched the american football and listened to the stories of their friend who was very LA- the type who talks about their work in the movie industry and engages in the type of self promotion that makes British toes curl. 

It was nice, we didn't sit round a table and discuss what we were thankful for or anything cheesy like that, for which my British-ness is very grateful, but it felt so nice to realise we are actually settling down here, building a life. And for that, I am very thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Keep blogging.! Your in my favourites and I check up every week to hear about crazy LA. Can't wait to hear about Christmas!!!

    Also how is your Agatha Christie reading going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This has cheered me up no end :) I shall update my Agatha Christie reading soon- it's not going too badly. x

      Delete

want to disagree? tell me I'm marvellous? Go 'write' ahead...